Rationale: Students will learn about the effects that various natural phenomena have on the environment and structures.
- I can create a poster informing people about a natural phenomenon.
- I can explain the effect that natural phenomena have on the environment and structures.
- The student has created a big bold title.
- The student has answered the two main questions and has come up with their own two research questions.
- The student has included a picture of their natural phenomenon.
- The student has created an informative, attractive poster on their natural phenomenon.
- Assessment for Learning : class discussion of natural phenomena, video introducing each phenomena
- Assessment as Learning : student chooses and researches a natural phenomena, creating a warning poster
- Assessment of Learning : rubric, anecdotal notes
- poster paper
- markers, crayons, pencil crayons, etc.
- glue, tape, scissors, etc
- as a class students will view videos on different natural disaster with a quick introduction to each
- students will then pick which natural disaster they would like to research
- Tsunami video
- Tornado video
- Hurricane video
- Earthquake video
- students will research a natural phenomena and create a poster presentation → it will be a WARNING poster fro their natural phenomenon
- students will be given a worksheet with questions they must answer (2) and questions they create on their own to research (2)
- students will be given a KWL chart to guide their research
- students will present their posters to the class
- students will hand in their KWL chart with their poster